Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Bony bump on skull

 seek251 - Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:46 pm

I am a bit worried about a bony bump on my skull and I don't know what it is. The bump is located at the sagittal suture and it goes straight down to the anterior fontanelle. It makes a "T" almost if you feel the top of my head. The bump is a bit larger at the back, top of my head. The bumps is sort of like a seal where my skull plates meet. As a matter of fact, I believe that it is my skull because it is just as hard as the rest of my head.
I have had it there for as long as I can remember. I would go as far as to say that it's always been there but I can't be completly sure. I was hit in the head with a basketball when I was a child in grade school. The force of the ball hitting my head was so great that my bottom tooth was chipped. I don't know if that might have something to do with it. I am 20 years old, male, and I do not experience any symptoms related to a brain disorder. I do have tinnusitus, but that is unrelated. Lately, I have had some headaches but I believe that they are just due to the fact that I get a bit nervous when I think about the bump on my head. Is it something to worry about or is it a normal skull variation? What could this be doctor? Thanks for reading this and taking the time to answer.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:00 am

User avatar Hi Seek251,

You may simply be feeling a normal ridge that can form at the suture line. This is a normal variation. I'm a little uncertain where your lump is, though, so I would recommend that you have your doctor take a look at this when you are in next just to be sure.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us