Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Bony bump on skull

seek251 - Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:46 pm

I am a bit worried about a bony bump on my skull and I don't know what it is. The bump is located at the sagittal suture and it goes straight down to the anterior fontanelle. It makes a "T" almost if you feel the top of my head. The bump is a bit larger at the back, top of my head. The bumps is sort of like a seal where my skull plates meet. As a matter of fact, I believe that it is my skull because it is just as hard as the rest of my head.
I have had it there for as long as I can remember. I would go as far as to say that it's always been there but I can't be completly sure. I was hit in the head with a basketball when I was a child in grade school. The force of the ball hitting my head was so great that my bottom tooth was chipped. I don't know if that might have something to do with it. I am 20 years old, male, and I do not experience any symptoms related to a brain disorder. I do have tinnusitus, but that is unrelated. Lately, I have had some headaches but I believe that they are just due to the fact that I get a bit nervous when I think about the bump on my head. Is it something to worry about or is it a normal skull variation? What could this be doctor? Thanks for reading this and taking the time to answer.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:00 am

User avatar Hi Seek251,

You may simply be feeling a normal ridge that can form at the suture line. This is a normal variation. I'm a little uncertain where your lump is, though, so I would recommend that you have your doctor take a look at this when you are in next just to be sure.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us