Question: I have been diagnosed with a sublenticular cyst

sleepwanted - Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:47 pm

Last month I was diagnosed with a small sublenticular cyst on the left side of my brain. (Had MRI because of daily headaches, gait, clumsiness and inhability to maintain sleep. Can this cyst be cancerous? Is a cyst a tumor? What should I do as a responsible patient? What exactly is it?? A colloid cyst?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:43 pm

A cyst is not the same as a tumor. A cyst is typically air or fluid-filled and most of the time in noncancerous.

A tumor is any swelling on the body - even a bruise or hematoma can be considered a tumor. It can be either cancerous or noncancerous but only determined by biopsy where the lab can tell what type tumor it is.

A colloid cyst is not the same as a sublenticular cyst. I hope your doctor is explaining your condition in a way you can understand. I cannot say exactly what yours involves or how it would be treated, but knowing the cause of your symptoms probably helps a lot. If you were in serious danger from this, I'm sure your doctor would be taking swift action.