Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: mysterious painful bump on the back of the head

ashme - Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:10 pm

Yesterday morning I woke up with a major throbbing pain in the back of my head. I don't remember hitting my head but it is sore to the touch. As the day progressed a bump formed. its been over 24 hrs and the pain still has me in tears at points. I have no idea what has caused this bump and would like any input or any suggestions.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:52 pm

User avatar Hi Ashme,

There are a few possibilities. You may be feeling an inflamed lymph node. The other possibility is that a small blood vessel broke leading to the bump (basically a blood clot under the skin called a hematoma). Hematomas themselves are usually not painful but the area can hurt because usually there was some trauma that caused the hematoma to form.

If this persists I would suggest you see your doctor. Occasionally, lymph nodes or hematomas can become infected and need antibiotics to help them clear up.