Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: mysterious painful bump on the back of the head

ashme - Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:10 pm

Yesterday morning I woke up with a major throbbing pain in the back of my head. I don't remember hitting my head but it is sore to the touch. As the day progressed a bump formed. its been over 24 hrs and the pain still has me in tears at points. I have no idea what has caused this bump and would like any input or any suggestions.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:52 pm

User avatar Hi Ashme,

There are a few possibilities. You may be feeling an inflamed lymph node. The other possibility is that a small blood vessel broke leading to the bump (basically a blood clot under the skin called a hematoma). Hematomas themselves are usually not painful but the area can hurt because usually there was some trauma that caused the hematoma to form.

If this persists I would suggest you see your doctor. Occasionally, lymph nodes or hematomas can become infected and need antibiotics to help them clear up.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us