Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: VERY STRANGE- Fell down 13 stairs onto concrete in my sleep

sleepwanted - Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:47 pm

i was sleep walking at 4:30 am on a Thursday about 4 or 5 weeks ago and I guess I must have been attempting to find the washroom, but the basement door was left open, which it never is and I fell down 13 stairs onto concrete (in my sleep) and Jamie found me in shock at the bottom of the stairs not making any noise. The ambulance came and they did ct scans and x-rays etc. I have a bad concussion, two broken fingers, fractured vertebrae, sore back neck etc.. possibly small fractures around hip area. I go back to the doctors on Wednesday to see if anything else is wrong. Spent 4 days in the hospital.

I still have a lump on my head about 1 1/2 inches wide and protruding quite a bit, its still red and I noticed yesterday I have gone bald on the spot I hit. Should I seek medical attention for the bump?

I still have headaches (did before it though), more unsteady than usual, my husband thinks so too.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:10 am

User avatar Hi Sleepwanted,

It sounds like you took quite a fall. The lump on your head may be a bruise or bleed beneath the skin from being hit hard. If the lump gets much bigger or more painful you may want to have it evaluated sooner. Otherwise, it will probably be sore for a while (basically a very bad bruise) and it is OK to wait until your appointment to have it evaluated.

sleepwanted - Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:28 pm

In conjuction with the fall, I have been diagnosed with a tiny sublenticular cyst on teh left side of my brian (would this be a colloid cyst?) no one seems to know what it is, not my sleep specialist either. Do you think it could cause gait, sleep disturbances and headaches?? Thank you so much, your help is so much more than apprieciated.