Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Relation between EEG and Dissociative Identity Disorder

 halcyon - Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:08 pm

I began having episodes similar to the symptoms of partial temporal lobe seizures in early October. I began going to a therapist who believed that I suffered from Depersonalization Disorder, a form of Dissociative Identity Disorder.

He suggested that I see a neurologist to rule out any medical conditions.
I met with the neurologist who suggested to have an EEG and a MRI done. I had both done and found that I have a brain tumor in the temporal lobe and the EEG showed signs of Epilepsy.

My question is, Is there any way that the abnormality on the EEG could really be showing up strangely because of a mental disorder, or do the results come solely from Epilepsy?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:41 pm

User avatar Hi Halcyon,

Generally, EEG's are helpful in identifying seizure disorders. I am less familiar with the changes seen in Dissociative Identity Disorder, primarily because they are generally not done unless there is suspicion of an underlying seizure disorder. I seem to recall a study that showed that with DID, upon a change to a new personality the EEG wave patterns would also change but they were not consistent with a seizure or focal problem, just different forms of normal waves.

Temporal lobe can cause a variety of symptoms and may explain your physiologic symptoms. I would recommend you see a neurosurgeon regarding the tumor to see if any intervention is needed for this. Follow up with a neurologist is also important.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us