Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Grand Mal Seizure...drive again?

haole99 - Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:03 am

I just suffered from my first grand mal seizure. I've had 1 focal motor seizure 3 years ago, and up until 2 days ago have been seizure free. I think the reason I had the GM was I was VERY stressed. My question is when will I be able to drive again? Some people (not doctors) are telling me 6 months seizure free I'll be able to drive again, but my doctor is on vacation, and I would like to get an answer sooner. Thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:56 pm

User avatar The laws of the state you live in, not your doctor, decide these things. Your doctor could tell you what the current laws are where you live and when you meet the criteria for driving. One year seizure-free is usually a pretty safe time frame and is a good indicator of driving safety. It has to do with how well-controlled with medication your seizures are.

Good luck to you.