Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Heat Exhaustion and Headaches

Dangerousl33 - Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:07 pm

I was running the other day and went a little to far and on the way back completely stopped sweating and when i finally made it to my house i was dizzy and my legs were cramped up. i was able to drink slowly and recover but didn''t see anyone about it. it has now been 5 days and every time i do anything strenuous, anything that cuases me to breathe harder, or sometimes when theres a sudden temperature change, or sometimes when i just move from sitting to standing, i get a headache that ranges from dull to extremely painful depending on how rapidly i changed my heartrate or how rapidly i moved or how extreme the weather change was. should i see someone or will this just go away on it's own? I am a 20 year old male and have been in the marine corp for approx a year now, have done much rigorous exercise and never had a problem keeping up. i don't smoke or drink and usually get at least 8 hours sleep.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:10 pm

User avatar Hi Dangerousl33,

Heat exhaustion and heat stroke can be quite dangerous. Most likely, though, at this point you'll be OK. I would suggest you see a doctor for an evaluation to check everything out. Occassionally there can be some ongoing electrolyte issues, etc. that can occur with heat stroke.

Staying well hydrated will help as well. It may take you several days to fully recover from this. Until then you should probably be self limited in your activity level.