Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Morning headache due to dreams

rajgj - Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:54 pm

I am a 27 years old healthy woman. Most of the early mornings (just before getting up) I have series of dreams which I do not remember after I get up. These vivid dreams lead to mild to medium head-ache in the middle part of my head and I do not feel fresh the whole day. Similar happens in the afternoon, when I try to take another nap. I am not on medication, drugs, alcohols or smoke.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:02 am

If the headaches are due to the dreams, as you suggest, you might try a sleeping aid because sometimes these medications disrupt your brain wave patterns, affecting the amount of dreaming you do. I am not suggesting this as a long-term thing but as a trial to see if it alters the REM, delta wave and other brain waves that might make a difference. Talk to your doctor for a recommendation or prescription.

Afternoon naps often leave a person feeling worse than before they slept so it is recommended that if you do nap, don't do it for more than about 15 or 20 minutes. Again, this is related to the brain wave patterns.

You could also try relaxation exercises, meditation or yoga before retiring at night. Changing your current routine could also affect your sleep. There are also sleep clinics where any type of sleep disturbance can be studied and sometimes there are treatments that can help.

Good luck with this very frustrating problem.