Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: very tired.. all the time

jonjon8 - Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:11 pm

i am an 18 year old female. i have always had a hard time falling asleep, but i would wake up rested. for the past 2 weeks though,i will get 10 or more hours of sleep a night and still be exhausted when i wake up. i thought i may have overslept so i only slept 7 hours and felt even worse. i figured that it would get better as the day went on, and i woke up, but it only gets worse during the day. i will fall asleep in class sometimes. i don't know what this is and i hate being tired like this.
please help...
thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:38 pm

User avatar Hello Jonjon8,

There are a few possibilities. First, I would recommend you have your thyroid levels tested. Low thyroid levels can cause significant fatigue and low energy levels. Also, you may have an infection with a virus. There are a few viruses, in particular ebstein barr virus that causes mononucleosis, that can also cause lots of fatigue.

I would suggest you see your doctor for an evaluation to help sort this out.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us