Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Tingling in left hand.

mrproducer - Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:03 pm

A couple weeks ago I moved and therefore had to lift heavy furniture and boxes. The next day my left hand was hurting....I figured it was because of the rigid activity the previous day. The pain goes away after a few days and tingling starts settling in. At first all of my fingers were tingling now it's the 2 fingers close to my thumb. There isn't any pain but tingling and it seems to be worse when I wake up in the morning. Family suggests it's the early stages of carpal tunnel. I don't know. I am diabetic as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:35 pm

User avatar Hello Mrproducer,

This certainly could be consistent with carpal tunnel syndrome. Typically, carpal tunnel syndrome will cause pain/tingling in the thumb, index and middle finger as well as the thumb side of the ring finger.

If the tingling is only involving the 2 fingers it may be that you have some swelling from the moving that is pressing on the branches of the median nerve branches that supply those specific fingers rather than being higher up in the wrist affecting the entire nerve distribution.

It may also be that during moving you compressed these nerves causing some of your symptoms.

If these sensations are not getting better, or are getting worse I would recommend that you see your doctor for an evaluation.