Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: post-concussion symptom

jamielynn242 - Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Hello-

I am a 20 yo female who suffered a concussion a week ago. Being my 3rd one in 5 months, it took me a little longer to recover and I was in the ICU for 3 days because I was in and out of consciousness. The CT scan was normal and I seem to be doing fine since being home. This morning I woke up and there was blood coming from my right ear. It only bled for a few minutes and then stopped. Twice more throughout the day it bled again for a brief period and then stopped. I don't have any pain or hearing loss. I was wondering if this could possibly be something related to my concussion and if it's something I should be concerned about. I really don't want to go back to the doctor so I was hoping to get an opinion beforehand. Thanks so much!
-Jamie
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:05 pm

User avatar Hello Jamie,

After a week it is unlikely that this bleeding is related to your concussion. It may be that you have a small scratch in your ear canal that is bleeding.

If this continues I would recommend you see your doctor to have this checked out. While it is unlikely, there is a small possibility this bleeding may be from a fracture sustained when you had the head trauma. Your doctor can help determine if this is the case.