Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Short stabbing headaches...

jenlokk - Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:44 am

I am a 23 female. I have been suffering from chronic headaches since I was about 15. I have experienced different types of headaches: tension, migraines and I know the difference. For the past couple of months I have been getting a different type that I have never experienced. It’s a very sharp excruciating pain that only last for about 5-30 seconds. The pain is always on one side of my head…and feels the worst in the back of my eye and makes it hard to keep that eye open while I feel the pain. Is this something I should see a doctor for? Do you know what the cause could be? Anything helps..thanks :)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:06 pm

User avatar Hello Jenlokk,

The location and intensity of pain you are describing fits with a type of headache called a cluster headache. This type of headache typically does not come and go so quickly, though. It is a variation of a migraine that often will recur around the same time of day for several days then go away, as if they occur in clusters.

This may also be a variation of a tension headache from some eye strain. It is less likely but may be worth having your vision evaluated also. Look for any causes of eye strain also, such as viewing a computer monitor for extended periods of time.

If these persist is it worth having your doctor evaluate this.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us