Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Short stabbing headaches...

jenlokk - Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:44 am

I am a 23 female. I have been suffering from chronic headaches since I was about 15. I have experienced different types of headaches: tension, migraines and I know the difference. For the past couple of months I have been getting a different type that I have never experienced. It’s a very sharp excruciating pain that only last for about 5-30 seconds. The pain is always on one side of my head…and feels the worst in the back of my eye and makes it hard to keep that eye open while I feel the pain. Is this something I should see a doctor for? Do you know what the cause could be? Anything helps..thanks :)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:06 pm

User avatar Hello Jenlokk,

The location and intensity of pain you are describing fits with a type of headache called a cluster headache. This type of headache typically does not come and go so quickly, though. It is a variation of a migraine that often will recur around the same time of day for several days then go away, as if they occur in clusters.

This may also be a variation of a tension headache from some eye strain. It is less likely but may be worth having your vision evaluated also. Look for any causes of eye strain also, such as viewing a computer monitor for extended periods of time.

If these persist is it worth having your doctor evaluate this.