Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: 94% Alzheimers Disease

goofytiger - Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:42 am

My mother was told yesterday that my grandmother's tests came back showing she was 94% alzheimers. What exactly does that mean?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:09 am

User avatar Hello Goofytiger,

I'm a little uncertain about the terminology being used. Regarding Alzheimers, either it is present or it is not. Perhaps her doctor is indicating that he is 94% certain that your grandmother's illness is Alzheimers. Another possibility is that a test came back positive and that test has a 94% accuracy level (indicating a 6% chance of a false positive test).

I would recommend you or your mother talk with your grandmother's doctor to help clarify what was meant by this. This way you have the most accurate information.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us