Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Should a Bells Palsy patient recieve steroids to recover?

barbsuelikesyou - Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:03 pm

I had the full onset of Bells Palsy on the day I delivered my daughter 8 months ago. I still have limited tension in my lips on my right side. 3 days after onset I was told by a family doctor that I should have been treated within 48 hours with steroids to ensure recovery. However, a neurologist told me that this information has not been proven. If I had been treated within 48 hours would I still have Bells today?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:41 am

User avatar Hello,
As with many studies, results have been mixed about the effectiveness of steroids. One study says yes; the next says no. I see nothing that says an early window is required, but complete recovery from this disorder can take anywhere from a few weeks to over a year, depending on the severity. There is no way to predict who will heal quickly and who will need a longer and more intense treatment for recovery. The studies that show a positive effect with steroids did now show a shorter duration anyway; just a greater improvement overall. Again, this must be balanced with the studies that found no improvement.

Antiviral drugs are used when there is suspicion that it is caused by a virus but nerve damage can result in the absence of virus too.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us