Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Numbness, heat in upper body

 sanmeyer - Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:49 pm

I am a 40 year old female.

For about five years now, I have had chronic inflammation, manifesting as heat in my chest and upper back, and numbness at the base of my head.

I have had rheumatology and blood tests, including a number of ANA tests, but the results have been normal so far.

Sometimes, it feels like I have a weight hanging around my chest and head muscles, and my ears constantly ring. This discomfort is with me all the time, regardless of whether I'm resting, working, etc.

I wonder whether I should be referred to a neurologist, instead of a rheumatologist? I go for monthly massages and have seen a chiropractor several times, but the situation seems to be getting worse.

 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:53 pm

User avatar Hello -

While I could only guess at what specifically is causing your symptoms, I do think it sounds definitely neurological in nature, and a consult with a neurologist would seem to be a logical next step.

Please follow up with us if you think of any further information and to let us know if you do see a neurologist, what is found.

Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us