Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Numb index finger on left hand

Harrington - Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:17 am

5 days ago I had my left index finger jammed between a couch and a door frame as we were moving it out the house. My finger was jammed for approximately 30 min. before we could get it loose. It hurt alot ... I was x-rayed and was told no apperent break could be seen ... if it still hurt in a week to get rex-rayed... I have no trouble with movement with it so I don't think I need another x-ray... but the problem is ... after we got my finger unstuck it was cold and numb ... this hasn't gone away it is still cold and numb from middle to the end ... with sometimes a prickly sensation in it.... is the something that may be permanent??? or what could be the trouble???
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:29 pm

User avatar The coldness and numbness sounds like decreased blood flow to your index finger. You may also have damaged the nerve endings. With it being that way for 5 days, I would strongly suggest you go back to the doctor for reevaluation.
Regards,
Carolyn