Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: intracranial pressure,spinal pressure or something else?

 Egreen84 - Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Hi, Ive been recommended to see a neurologist by my family doctor,but i cannot because of no insurance/inability to work because of symptoms...
for the last 7-8 months ive been having severe headaches around the entire area of my head,neck pain from the center of the neck radiating through my ears,with feeling of high pressure in my head like it will explode,also like its pushing my eyes from my head,dizziness and sometimes motion sickness(not vertigo nothing is spinning)more increasing with any physical activities and feeling like i will faint if i keep up the activities,very weak every day all day no matter how much or little i sleep,a lot of the time with feverish feeling even though i have no high temperature,nausea,sometimes but rarely vomiting,always terribly sick feeling like ive had the flu for months on end,or poisoned or diseased feeling like im dying,im so lost on what to do and feel very helpless about this,my blood work comes back clear always,and my doctor/doctors always tell me they don't know whats wrong or everything looks fine,but i really feel like im just slowly dying,or something terribly wrong,im not trying to get any narcotics or anything of that sort i really just want to know whats wrong with me,because i cant do any normal activities or even work or make any plans for my life,and its making me terribly hopless....any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...thank you...Mr. Egreen
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:11 pm

User avatar Hello Egreen,

If at all possible I would recommend you see a neurologist. You may need a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to measure opening pressure. Your symptoms sound like they could be due to a condition called pseudotumor cerebri. This is a condition where the pressure in the spinal fluid area is too high, causing headaches and a variety of symptoms. It is treated by various methods. Measuring the opening pressure during the lumbar puncture allows determination of the spinal pressure, which is key to making the diagnosis.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us