Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Twitching in my sleep

greenwizard - Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:18 pm

For a while now, while I'm laying in bed trying to go to sleep, my arms and legs will twitch. It actually happens fairly often, two or three times a night. Just tonight I fell asleep on the couch and was woken up by my abdomen twitching. I did something like a sit up motion. When I take a hot bath my body twitches like this for a few minutes.

I don't know if it's related, but when I was about a year old I had a seizure. It didn't last for very long, and the doctor I was seen by could not find a cause for it. I had meningitis at about that age as well.

My question is, are my twitching episodes normal, or do I have something to worry about?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:41 pm

Twitching such as you describe can be quite normal at times but with persistent twitching, it is wise to see a doctor about it to be sure it is not a manifestation of another underlying disorder. A neurologist would be the most likely specialty. I doubt it is related to your history as a baby but all the history is important for the doctor making the diagnosis so keep good notes on when it is happening, when it first started, how long it lasts, how frequently it occurs, if it seems to be triggered by something you do, etc, etc.