Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Happiness after seizure - is this common?

Mark Mann - Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:01 am

I'm a care taker for two mentally disabled men with quadrapelegia, both of whom experience absence seizures regularly. I've noticed that they each get into a very happy mood after they've had seizures. Since they can't communicate verbally, I'm not sure how to interpret their laughing and smiling. Is this common? What could explain it? Thanks.
 SoTired76 - Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:55 am

HI, I am just a patient on this board. However, from my understanding seizures can be associated with euphoria, rage, and other types of reactions due to the area of the brain that the seizure is affecting. It is my understanding that hallucinations are even possible. If you are interested, there is a lot about this if you research different types of seizures and the different behaviors prior and after the seizure has occurred.
HAPPY EASTER