Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: uncontrollable twitch in my arms and legs,4-5times a day

Iridha - Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:08 am

Currently I am experiencing an uncontrollable twitch in my arms and legs , they occur about 4-5 times a day. I am unsure what they are?
 Dr. A. Madia - Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:26 am

User avatar Hi Iridha,

There are several causes of a twitch.

1. Myokimia. This is simply some fatigue in the myofibrils [muscle fibers] and they flicker from time to time and this last for several days and then disappears.

2. Fibrillation: This is a little more serious and is a preliminary symptom of a possible future development of a motor neurone disease, a neurology condition.

3. Jacksonian twiches: This is a local twich in a particular arm or leg which precedes the development of a generalised convulsions.

4. As a prodromal symptom of development of a limb paralysis.

5. Metabolic: Hypokalemia, Hyper calcemia, Thyroid disorder etc.

Mostly in young persons like you it is the innocent cause like a myokimia. But you must give some more details about your health profile.

Take care,

Apurva
 Iridha - Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:36 am

Dear Doctor
Thank you for your reply , i just asumed everyone had these , but i will visit my doctor just incase

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us