Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Any reason to believe Gardasil caused my Multiple Sclerosis?

techfem - Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:08 pm

I am a 23-year old female. In March, my PCP had me get the first injection of Gardasil (the HPV vaccine). About 10 days later, I had symptoms of visual disturbances, numbness, and headache that lingered for a week. My MRI taken days later showed white matter lesions. In early June, I had a follow-up MRI that showed increased white matter lesions. I had the second Gardasil injection in late June. In late July, I had my second MS "attack" this time complete with significant twitching. Some of the twitching persists now, one month later. My official MS diagnosis is in a holding pattern until next week when I see my neuro again. As I am set to get the third and final injection of Gardasil next month, I am clearly concerned about not only if I should get the injection, but also if it has caused my neuro problems. I have read about instances of Guillain-Barre being associated with Gardasil. As it is a demyelinating disorder, it doesn't seem to be a stretch to think that MS could also be linked.

Do you have any advice for me? Should I report this to any authority to investigate? I'm very concerned that young girls are having this injection forced on them if it can cause something like what's happened to me.

Or am I just off in left field thinking any of this is more than coincidental?

Thanks so much.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:29 pm

Gardasil is quite new on the market and it underwent extensive testing prior to being made available to the public. Also, most people who are diagnosed with MS realize it was actually several years coming; not something that happens suddenly, even if the symptom appearance timing made it seem so. For this reason I would seriously doubt this could have been the cause of your MS.

Keep in mind the devastating disease this vaccine has prevented for many women. If you would like more information about vaccines you can go to the U.S. site http://www.cdc.gov I cannot advise you one way or another on completing your series because this is a personal choice matter. As yet I don't believe there is any evidence of the vaccine causing such problems. There seems to be some suspicion that this being given along with another vaccine (Menactra) may raise the risk of Guillan-Barre Syndrome (GBS) but any association has not been proven.

Good luck with your treatment for MS, if that turns out to be the diagnosis.

Best wishes
 boatpeople - Sat May 30, 2009 7:02 am

I have a friend whose sister and another friend have both been diagnoised with MS after receiving the Gardasil vaccination, within a month of each other. Both girls began having symptoms after their second doses. My daughter had received her first and I am not going to continue the vaccination. I should have researched this before just trusting that it would be OK.