Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: The right side of my face is numb

Bill4patsox - Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:06 pm

I got hit in the eye with an elbow at my martial arts class. Under my eye swelled up and my face from my eye to the right side of my lip is numb. I can move the muscles in my face. This was 2 1/2 days ago. Most of the swelling has gone down but my face is still numb. Should I go see a doctor? Or will this fix itself with time? Thank You
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:40 pm

User avatar Trauma to the facial nerve can cause residual superficial numbness for a while. I'd say if sensation hasn't begun to normalize within a week of the trauma you probably should be seen just to be sure there's no underlying injury causing pressure on the nerve (although usually this would cause excruciating pain rather than numbness). Usually this will resolve on its own within a few days. It was early on when you wrote your post, so hopefully by now it's all back to normal or nearly so.

I hope this helps. Please update us as to your situation.