Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Stimulation of nerves after breast redution surgery

ellliej37 - Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:40 pm

I had a breast reduction surgery in 2004. I am surprised at how much sensation has returned over the past couple of years, but am still not quite satisfied with certain areas of numbness. Is there anything I can do to stimulate the nerve growth in those areas? Thank you for your time.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:21 pm

User avatar Hi there -

I'm unaware of any specific therapy that will encourage regrowth of nerves in the area, and there is a calculated risk of some loss of sensation. Sometimes it improves on its own over time, and it does sound as though you've had some regrowth of nerves in the region, so hopefully this will continue, although it's very difficult to predict that sort of thing.

You might want to check back with the surgeon who did the reduction operation, and he may be able to refer you to someone who specializes in this sort of problem, but in general it's a slow and hard-to-predict process.

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful. Best of luck to you with this, and please update us if anything changes.