Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: I don't even know where to begin...

DaveT - Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:07 pm

I have posted before about what was found to be an inflammation in my brain that caused weakness in the right side of my body, and about a month later, numbness in my face and some numbness in my right hand and foot about a week later.

Currently, I am being seen by an MS specialist. It seems the doctors are eager to diagnose this as MS, as they aren't really looking for any other causes.

I have just had a blood test done to test for Lyme disease, as I have gone camping this summer a few times and the docter thinks we should test just in case. He did say that he highly doubts that Lyme is the cause, however.

All we know is that I have an inflammation in my brain. Within the past 2 months, I have had 3 attacks. It started with weakness in my entire right side. About 3 weeks later, the weakness had gone away, but half my face became numb. That lasted a week, but was followed immediately by numbness in my right hand and foot. Today, the numbness is still there but is almost gone.

My question is, could this be anything else? Even the doctor was surprised that these attacks have been going on for over 2 months. He doubts it is an infection or virus, but has not ruled this out. I did not show any noticeable signs of an infection besides intense stomach cramps and diarreah for 4 weeks at the start of the summer.

I spoke with a radiologist at my gym who said he doubts this is MS. He has not seen the MRI scan, but from my descriptions, he seems to think this is west nile. I do not recall having any fever recently, but I do remember having over at least 200 mosquito bites over the course of the summer due to my many camping trips.

In breif, what could cause an inflammation of the brain? If it helps, the inflammation is in the pons.
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:55 pm

User avatar Hi!

I think your doctors have summed up the possible causes for your condition, complicated as it is. Unfortunately, my expertise may not help in defining it better. I welcome opinions from other lounge users.

bill