Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: headaches along with bumps around ear

angfoster27 - Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:53 pm

I have had a pea sized bump behind my ear for many years. I have currently been getting many headaches and have chiropractic visits every week. A month ago I noticed tingling and some numbness in my left side of my face. Two days ago a new bump appeared in front of my ear. It is located right in the middle of my ear at my jaw joint. I had my chiropractor look at it and she said it is not my jaw, but definitely a lump of some sort. I have no insurance and do not want to see a doctor if I can help it. Do you think this is just from a viral infection or something serious?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:58 pm

I hope you are feeling better. The bump in front of your ear could be a pre-auricular lymph node. There's no way of telling without an examination. It could also be something related to the parotid gland which is incidentally where the facial nerve arises. A lump that affects the facial nerve can lead to numbness on that side of the face.

Please have this checked out by a physician and keep us updated.