Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: headaches along with bumps around ear

angfoster27 - Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:53 pm

I have had a pea sized bump behind my ear for many years. I have currently been getting many headaches and have chiropractic visits every week. A month ago I noticed tingling and some numbness in my left side of my face. Two days ago a new bump appeared in front of my ear. It is located right in the middle of my ear at my jaw joint. I had my chiropractor look at it and she said it is not my jaw, but definitely a lump of some sort. I have no insurance and do not want to see a doctor if I can help it. Do you think this is just from a viral infection or something serious?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:58 pm

User avatar Hello,

I hope you are feeling better. The bump in front of your ear could be a pre-auricular lymph node. There's no way of telling without an examination. It could also be something related to the parotid gland which is incidentally where the facial nerve arises. A lump that affects the facial nerve can lead to numbness on that side of the face.

Please have this checked out by a physician and keep us updated.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us