Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Numbness, twitching fingers, muscle stiffness & weakness

d13rosew - Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:00 am

For the past few weeks i've been having a numbness in the last two fingers on my left hand, now the past week i've had a twitching in my middle finger. I have also been having stiffness and weakness in all my muscles. I'm not sure where this is all coming from and wondering if it's something to worry about.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Your symptoms are highly suggestive of electrolyte imbalance. Electrolytes like calcium, potassium and magnesium are very important in the regulation of muscle and never functions as well as the function of other body organs.

Low level of these elements is usually due to low intake, or excess loss. Excess loss usually occur after diarrhoea, vomiting or in renal dysfunction. Endocrine glands and hormones orchestrate the level of these elements and any abnormalities in their function results in either rise or decline in the level of different body electrolytes.

Low level of calcium, magnesium, and or potassium results in weakness, myalgias and muscle cramps.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor, based on thorough history and clinical examination he can recommend the proper investigations.

Please keep us updated.