Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: adderall effect on possible fibro pains???

shorrocks - Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi, I will try to make this short. I have taken adderall since January 2007, different doses, the highest was 30 mg 2x a day. In March 2008 I started to down dose the Adderall due to irritability. At this time I started to have some muscle aches but nothing terrible. I then in April 2008 had a very bad virus that had a multitude of symptoms, including cardiac, which my then 7 year old son also experienced. I ultimately stoped taking Adderall completely in May 2008. I really had no problems doing that. However I ended up with every possible symptom of Fibromyalgia and then some. I had numerous blood work ups, visited many doctors, especially the rhuemotologist, labs, xrays, cardiologist, podiatrist etc. Then at the end of July, I was getting ready for a family vacation and was very much tired and in severe pain, when I got the idea to take 10mg of Adderall. I did this a few mornings in a row. The amazing thing is that the unbelievable pain I had been experiencing for months vanished. I did not make an Adderall connection until I stopped taking it again, due to having a stress test at my cardiologists, within 6 days of stopping it the horrible symptoms were all back. I suffered for about 3 days and then decided to take the Adderall again, 10mg in the A.M. and again like magic all pain vanished. My psychiatrist is aware of this and has no answers. I cannot possible beleive that I am the only human being on this planet to have experienced this "miracle". I am at this time taking the adderall 10mg 2xs a day and have been symptom free for weeks. How do I make a decision to be in pain or have cranky episodes??? Why is this happening, what is the adderall and pain relief connection, and what can I do to be pain free, but also not irritable when the adderall wears off?? Did the use of Adderall in the first place Almost 2 years ago cause this physical horror? I need answers. Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:26 am

User avatar Hello,
Fibromyalgia is a mystery. It is real but we don't know what causes it. I have never heard of such a relationship but if the Adderall helps, why not use it? I think you are saying the problem with irritability comes if you do not take it, right? So, if you do, you are pain-free. Every person responds to drugs differently - that's one reason there are so many varieties of meds to treat the same conditions. If this helps you, I see no reason to stop using it but it is very doubtful this is the cause of the original problem. If so, we would be seeing such a pattern with others and suspicion would arise. I am glad you have discussed this with your psychiatrist so if there are concerns your doctor can be on top of it.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us