Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Fingers straightening problem

 sai kumar - Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Doctor Sir,
For the past fifteen days my right hand fingers are straightening within few seconds when they are kept normal. Due to this I could not do my regular work in time. This problem results in

1. Difficult in writing
2. Difficult in operating mouse. (Taking more time for clicking and fingers are paining)
3. Difficult in operating keyboard. (Mostly using left hand)
4. Dfficult in using calculator.(Wrist tilting to right side)
5. Right hand fingers found straight during walking.

Please advice to overcome my problem and become normal.

Thanking you,
Sai kumar
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:36 pm

User avatar Hello -

What you describe sounds most like one of two problems often caused by repetitive motion injury and both are common in people who use computers a great deal (both keyboard and mouse): trigger finger/thumb and/or carpal tunnel syndrome. Certain types of spasticity are seen in both conditions, and, especially in trigger finger or thumb (or both at once) there is difficulty in bending, rather than straightening the digits, and they tend to feel "stuck" in the extended position.

While these conditions are often helped by physical therapy or simple ergonomic adjustments to the work area, if the problem becomes severe or long-lasting sometimes it needs to be corrected by means of minor surgery to help release the tendons involved.

You should be seen by an orthopedist to determine if this is the problem (which seems likely). It's entirely possible, at this stage, that some exercises done at home may be able to correct the problem, at least temporarily.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us