Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Sudden sense of falling.

adv92484 - Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:45 am

I am 24 years old, and in good shape. For about 5 years, I have been experiencing frequent urination. It is often, (every 15 minutes or so) and does not seem to be effected by limiting fluid intake. I've been checked for diabetes, UTIs, kidney issues, my thyroid, and a whole battery of testing. Nothing. I've been to both my general practioner, as well as a specialist. Still have no answer, after five years. It's a bitter annoyance, but I can bear with it. My real question lies with an episode that has happened only twice in the past year, but really bothers me. The last time, it happened, I was helping my fiance in the kitchen, when suddenly I had this sensation I was falling. It was incredibly vivid. I could see the faucet coming towards my face, just as if I fell face forward on the ground. I even braced my arms out in front of me. After a split second, I realized I was still standing, with my arms out in front of me in "Frankenstein's monster" fashion, and my fiance staring strangely at me. A moment after, I felt sick to my stomach / nauseated, and had to lie down. After resting for 45 minutes or so, I felt better. Still, a little shook, but overall I felt alright. This has happened on to seperate occassions, and I'm worried it may happen again. Possibly, at an in-oppurtune time, like driving on the highway, which I do often. I haven't gotten a clear answer, and was just curious for a fresh opinion. Also, since the first episode, I have been getting dull, achy, "headaches, that seem to be behind my eyes and lower forehead. I have psoriasis since I was 16, psoriatic arthritis, the frequent urination, and I also have high cholestorol (It's hereditary I was diagnosed when I was 4 years old). Other than that, I'm a fairly healthy person, but the lack of knowledge regarding the frequent urination, and these sudden "falling" feelings (and after effects) have gotten me a little nervous. I was wondering, if maybe they could be connected somehow? My doctor dismisses the idea. But if there's something wrong with my nervous system, regarding the falling feeling, could it be causing the frequent urination as well? I'm just looking for some fresh ideas. The falling feeling is my biggest concern, though. It frightens me to drive as much as I do.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
 tsg - Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:28 pm

This is not an answer to your question, but I have been experiencing a similar sense of falling over the last few months. I am a healthy 24 year old female. I do have a history of migraines which have become far less frequent over the last 3-4 years, although I still get frequent headaches.

These episodes occur almost daily, whether I have a headache or not. When I lean over the sink which washing up in the morning or at night, I feel as if I am going to fall over and hit my head on the faucet or counter. I never actually do, as I always manage to brace myself with my hands, but I need to close my eyes and stand there for a minute while I regain my equilibrium. It is quite scary. I have also had some episodes of dizziness over the last few months and while I don't necessarily feel like I'm falling I do need to stop in my tracks wherever I happen to be and close my eyes while it passes. I tend to just ignore it until it happens again, but when I saw your post it struck me.
 rachu - Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:45 am

When I lean over the sink which washing up in the morning or at night, I feel as if I am going to fall over and hit my head on the faucet or counter. I never actually do, as I always manage to brace myself with my hands, but I need to close my eyes and stand there for a minute while I regain my equilibrium. It is quite scary. I have also had some episodes of dizziness over the last few months and while I don't necessarily feel like I'm falling I do need to stop in my tracks wherever I happen to be and close my eyes while it passes. I tend to just ignore it until it happens again, but when I saw your post it struck me.