Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Seizures, passing out. Not epilepsy or cancer. What is it?

amoraeternus - Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:28 pm

My friend has been having seizures, accompanied with dizziness, nausea, severe headaches, vomiting, abdominal pains and loss of consciousness. The doctors say it isn't epilepsy, nor cancer. They say it might be a complicated migraine. Do you have any idea about what it could be? I'm really worried about her. The doctors are still unsure about what it could be! She is really sufferring, so anyone with a notion, please reply.

P.S. I've done ,my own little bit of research, and I keep getting pointed in the direction of a cerebral aneurysm. Do you think it could be that bad?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:48 pm

There is a grey area where migraine and seizures can seemingly overlap. Sometimes a partial seizure and a complex migraine are difficult to tell apart, but they generally require different treatment to manage them.

While your description sounds like one or the other of the above, and while this sort of syndrome could be seen in some patients with cerebral aneurism or arteriovenous malformation (AVM), this is rarely the case, and when those become symptomatic it's usually less complex, usually simple passing out. However, among all the potential causes of such a set of symptoms, this, too, should be ruled out, and a thorough neurological workup would include an MRI of the brain as well as electroencephalogram (EEG) and of course a face-to-face neurological survey.

These partial seizure/complex migraine problems are more common than generally recognized, and are manageable, but they must be properly diagnosed first. The diagnostic process should rule out any possibility of cerebral aneurism or AVM.

I hope this addresses your concerns and that your friend is soon diagnosed and proper therapy initiated so she can begin ejoying her life again. She's fortunate to have a good friend lookng out for her interests. Please stay in touch with us here and follow up with us as needed.