Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: numbness in Middle and ring finger in right arm

sporty123 - Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:32 am

Numbness in middle and ring finger mostly in night after 5 hrs of my sleep it is there from past 15 days and now becoming worse every day in night it becomes very painful.
Went to neurologist and he suggested me MRI.
Kindly suggest me, as my MRI is not 18Nov no dates before it and its becoming difficult for me to sleep in nights.

Sonal
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:46 pm

This is most likely due to a compression of the ulnar nerve on the affected side, although the little finger (pinkie) normally would be affected as well. What isn't clear is where the pain occurs. If it is in the fingers this is a different sort of problem. If,however, it is in the arm above the fingers, or in your neck or upper back, this could be due to an injury to the disk between C-7 and T-1 vertebrae, where the ulnar nerve outlet is located. What part of your body does your doctor want you to have the MRI done on?

Meanwhile, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain meds like ibuprofin or naproxyn should help. By now you've likely had your MRI done, so if you've found out what the problem is, please let us know.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully you are feeling better now.