Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: HEADACHE BEHIND RIGHT EYE for 5 WEEKS

capricekid - Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:58 am

Hello i AM 46 YEAR OLD female who hardly ever got headaches. I got a headache 5 weeks ago that comes every day now. The Pain is always behind the right eye. I feel burning in my upper nose area thru the back of my eye. I went to the ER and they did a CT Scan w/0 Contrast of the brain which came back fine. My blood work was all good except it showed my Seg was slighly high indicating a possiable Bacterial Infection. I was sent to and ENT who said that he could tell from the CT scan of the brain that my sinus looked clear. He also looked up my nose with a scope and said all was fine.I was surprised becauce i really thought it would be a sinis infection. I am stumped.I Hate these headaches everyday. They are causing me to be depressed. My pain is hardly ever real servere just enough to be annoying and always behind the right eye and sometimes the pain will shoot to the back of my head. ANy help you could give me would be great. Tynonol does not help at all. The only relief i get is when i am rubbing my right eye ball with a little bit of pressure applyed. Thank you.I am worried that something bad is going on.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:21 pm

While your symptoms would suggest a sinus infection, since that appears to have been ruled out you could have something going on inside the orbit, involving the optic nerve, or perhaps even the tear duct. Pressure on the eye relieving the pain somewhat suggests it may even be a problem of the sixth cranial nerve.

I'd suggest seeing an opthamologist in order to complete the differential diagnosis between an occult sinus problem and one of the possible ocular-related problems. There is a very close association in terms of nerve service and related discomfort.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.
 capricekid - Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:23 pm

Hello Thank you for the fast reply If there was something causing pressure on the cranial nerves wouldnt that have shown up on the CT scan and also I have no vison problems. Thanks again