Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Stroke recovery

bronco68695 - Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:40 pm

I had 3 strokes in early part of May, 2008--had pfo closure last part of May. Recovered pretty well so far--going to gym and playing tennis. Healthy otherwise. Numbness in left hand and left leg and foot mostly gone. Always there, but sometimes both become much number. Then might ease up for a few days, then return again. I can pretty much do what I want, but numbness also causes some weakness. Why does numbness return? Blood pressure good, cholesterol good. Low stress. 53 yr. old male

Charles
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:02 am

User avatar The course of stroke recovery is often quite random and difficult to predict. You're enjoying a remarkably rapid and fairly full recovery. The intermittent numbness is likely just due to a small short circuit in the area "shocked" by the strokes earlier. It may continue to happen indefinitely, or may suddenly resolve. It is unlikely to become worse, but may continue as it is for a long time. These are the sorts of things which are very difficult to quantify in advance or even apace. The only real concern, however, would be if the numbness increased, spread, or possibly if it were to become constant and progressive. If this should happen (highly unlikely) you should report it to your doctor at once. Otherwise, this is part of the rather random behavior of parts of the brain to small injuries.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.