Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: sciatic nerve pain radiating down leg

gphelp - Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:49 pm

I was wondering if herpes is a common cause of sciatic nerve pain. Roughly 20 days after potential exposure i felt an unusual pain from my hip, right butt cheek all the way down my right leg to my foot. After about 1 1/2 weeks the pain just went away. I have a hard time believing it was damaged because it went away so fast. Is this a possible cause?

Thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:33 pm

User avatar Hi there -

It is entirely possible, though somewhat unusual, for herpes simplex to invade the sciatic nerve, and would cause very much the same symptoms as if there were an orthopedic injury but without the initial trauma. It would likely manifest as being felt on the skin as well as in the muscle of the back of the leg, but it's certainly possible.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.