Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Short sharp head pain after yawning

LaTristesse - Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:35 am

Occasionally when I yawn I get a really sharp pain in my head (just above the ear - on one side only, although the side varies I think - most recently in the right side). It only lasts for a few seconds, and feels like (I don't know if this is possible) a blood vessel getting trapped momentarily then snapping back.
Although the sharp pain only lasts for a few seconds, I do sometimes get a regular (dull) headache later (a few hours after) which is not in the same area of the head - and maybe unrelated.
Any help as to what this is and how to avoid it (apart from not yawning, which I can't control very well!) gratefully received. Thank you. x
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:46 am

User avatar Hi there -

Rather than a blood vessel being temporarily trapped (wouldn't feel the way you'd think it would) this is probably a nerve being trapped or plucked for a moment, and it may well be due to temporamendibular joint (TMJ) problems. Often we don't know we have such a thing going on, because the symptoms are often away from the jaw and sometimes not seemingly related (headaches, dizziness, pain in the head when yawning, etc.). TMJ problems can be caused by evolutionary changes, nocturnal tooth grinding (bruxism), trauma, dental misalignment (often very slight), etc. This seems the most likely cause of your head pains. The later headaches could be unrelated -- or not. It's hard to know. If this is due to TMJ, then the headaches may also be related. Often a dentist is the one who discovers some evidence of the problem and is a good starting point for trying to uncover the cause.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.
 LaTristesse - Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:26 am

That is very helpful thank you! And very interesting too - as my dentist has often admonished me for grinding my teeth; something which I'm not aware of doing! Thanks for taking the time to reply. x