Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Persistent migraine type symptoms

 cvk31 - Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi, I've been getting headaches for the past couple of weeks, they are always on the right hand side, with a feeling of pressure behind that eye, and a feeling of weakness in the right arm. This sounds to me like a migraine, but when I get migraines, I can't actually function, I have to lie down in a darkened room, but I can function with these. These aren't severe, but they are persistent and that is what is worrying me. They do come and go throughout the day, but have occurred every day. I try not to take ibuprofen tablets as I feel that simply masks things. I have been under stress recently - new job, moving house - so I guess that might not help, but I would appreciate any advice.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:16 am

User avatar Hello -

The unilateral nature of the headaches do sound like migraines, but perhaps of a different (evolved or mutated) variety, since they allow you to function unlike classic migraine. What I find a little troubling is the weakness of the arm along with the headaches. Now bear in mind that almost always a problem on one side of the brain will affect the opposite side of the body, so this makes the problem all the more odd, and it is possible there is actually a different locus of origin of these headaches and it may be due to compression of more than one nerve, causing both symptoms on one side of the body. If this continues I'd strongly suggest you arrange a consult with a neurologist just to be on the safe side.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us