Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Occasionaly headaches, & numbness of my last three fingers

esmi78 - Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Good evening Doctor,

I been having occasional headaches,that starts in the front to the back of my head, with a terrible neck pain, and for the past 4 days I have numbness in my last three fingers on the left hand side. I fell on July 08 in my house, and I notice that I started having headaches, but now is more than before. please guide me, to understand what I have.

Thank you! Doctor.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:24 pm

The headaches may be related to something that happened during your fall this past summer, but the numbness in the outside three fingers is more suggestive of an injury or impingement of a nerve (probably the ulnar nerve) which could tie in with the headaches and may or may not have been caused as a result of the fall. You'll need to see a doctor to determine the cause of the headaches and possibly the numbness in the ulnar aspect of your left hand. If that doesn't yield results you may have to be referred to a neurologist to determine what's causing this. Whether or not it's related to the fall (which could at least help located the focus of the problem), the residual issues need to be addressed and it sounds as though you may have some cervical injury which is causing pressure on a nerve and affecting your hand. It may also be contributing to the headaches, but this could be an incidental thing.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this and please follow up with us here as needed.