Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Can headaches be caused by a herniated cervical disk?

nutlady - Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:09 am

I have had disk problems for years. In Oct. 2007 I began having terrible headaches on the right side of my head, in the temple area. After going through many test and medications and an MRI we still are not sure what causes them. I do have a slight herniated disk in my neck. Sometimes I can feel my neck "pop" and immediately I will get an awful headache. Sometimes it is like a migrane that causes nausea and light and sound make it worse. Sometimes it is just an awful pain in the back of my neck, at the base of my skull that radiates up to my right temple. I have tried various medications, physical therapy and chiropractic care. Nothing seems to help for long. This morning I was fine, then I turned my head and heard and felt the pop, now I have a terrible headache as well as almost unbearable neck pain. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:28 pm

It seems reasonable to suspect cervical disk herniation as a possible cause of the headaches. It certainly can be the culprit at times, and can also cause vertigo (dizziness where the room seems to spin or the floor to suddenly move). While other causes for the headaches should definitely be ruled out, but if you're having symptoms (with the "pop" feature) when turning your head, you probably do have something going on in the cervical spine. A neurological consult is probably in order at this point.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this, and please let us know how things unfold.