Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Post Headache Soreness

JOG - Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:02 pm

After a very severe headache last evening, I am experiencing extreme soreness in both temple regions. What causes this and is this fairly common?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:24 pm

User avatar Hello -

Soreness or tenderness following migraine is fairly common, as is soreness after various types of neuralgia which cause headaches. This soreness is usually one-sided, however, although I'm guessing a significant tension headache might well cause bilateral soreness such as you describe.

If this happens again I would definitely make an appointment with a doctor, just to try and get to the bottom of the headache type (histamine headache comes to mind as another potential cause of bilateral temporal pain post-headache). Headache is often difficult to diagnose or at least classify, and different types are sometimes treated very differently.

Good luck to you. Follow up with us here as necessary.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us