Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Sharp stabbing electric shock pain radiating from right hip

cwfwatkins - Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 am

Hello, I have been having intermitant pain that seems to originate from my right hip. It radiates up my side to about my waist, and down my thigh and buttocks. It is a sharp, stabbing, electric shock type pain that does not seem to be associated with any particular type of activity. It happens most frequently when I'm standing but has also happened when sitting. The pain is pretty severe, enough to double me over, but only lasts a short time, anywhere from 5 - 30 seconds. Afterwards, I sometimes feel a slight tingling in my outer thigh which lasts from 2-15 minutes.

I do not have any specific problems with my hip but have had issues with my right leg that I suspect may have altered my gait enough to impact the hip. I had a femur fx 15 years ago and also recently had knee surgery for torn meniscus (these episodes began before the surgery). I have read info on meralgia paresthetica, but my pain is not constant nor do I have numbness, just the tingling (sometimes) after an episode. I am 38 years old and physically fit. When I brought it up to my family doctor, he dismissed it as gas pain. I know I'm not a doctor, but this is not gas. :)

Thanks in advance for your help.
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Wow, I'll agree with you there, gas pains....in your thigh? Did your doctor really say this...perhaps he didn't hear your complaint. I would approach him again with your problem as the primary reason for your visit. You mentioned a gait disturbance and over time that can place great pressure on the spine in places it was not normally meant to recieve with the daily workout we give it in just our everyday activities. Whenever we hear stabbing, sharp pain like a shock, it is usually the result of damage to a nerve somewhere.
Perhaps your lower spine needs an evaluation to see if the problem is derived from there.
I hope this helps,
Peace,