Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Nerve and brain vessel cirss crossing?!?

 PotatoTam - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:24 am

My Mon's (in her late 50) right eyes started twitching involuntary earlier this year. Hence, the dr. suggested her to have a CT scan of her brain. The result of the scan showed that (from the dr's interpretation) her never has tied a knot (criss crossed) with a blood vessel in her brain. My Mom did not experience any headaches, dizziness or other symptoms except the eye twitching. I want to know in her case with what happened to her nerve and blood vessel in her brain, is it something serious and fatal? The doctor did not further elaborate on her condition that's why i want to seek a second opinion and see if it is a common occurrence. Will her condition cause any other complications? And is that the reason behind her eye twitching? If so, what are her options for treatment? Thanks a lot.
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:25 pm

The CT scan was hopefully evaluated by a Neurologist. Is that correct? The most important thing would be a doctor who specializes in these problems to be the one to evaluate her and her films. Perhaps they would be able to tell you the likelyhood of this problem progressing to create other complications. I have heard of arterial-venous malformations in all different areas of the body but not those involving a nerve, I'm sure the Doctor could give you some insight into the incidence of this finding. Now this may sound simple but, I would recommend making an appointment with the same doctor, if he/she was a Neurologist. Having a list of questions with you to ask during this appointment. He/she already has the study and assessment done....If you still are not satisfied after this visit with his/her answers and possible treatments if any are needed, then make an appointment with another provider for a second opinion. That is always your right.
If the problem she has to deal with is only the eye twitching (which I can understand can be embarassing, distracting and can dry the eye out, then there are procedures such as injecting botox to help stop the twitch and lubricating drops to keep the surface of the eye moist. Any problem involving the brain is very frightening, and to fear the development of seizures, blindness or other complications is understandable. I hope you get all the answers you need and wish you the best.
please keep us posted.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us