Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Face twitching and chronic headaches and neck pain

 Winnifred - Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:40 am

I have had several symptoms over that last two years and I feel
like I am being to easily dismissed because no problem has been found.
I have had extreme pain at the base of my neck and left shoulder and
I can honestly say that I do not recall the last time I didnt have pain.
This pain often extends into my arm/hand and they feel weak or heavy at times.
I also awake to tingling arm/hand/fingers nearly every morning.
I have severe headaches which I assume are from the prolonged pain in my neck. Last week I started having twitching on my cheek that is easily seen by the naked eye. In fact I actually recorded it on my camera because I get the feeling no doctor takes me seriously and that they think it is all in my head. Last night I went to bed with my face twitching and awoke this morning to it still twitching. It is very annoying.
I did experience a fall a few weeks before all of my symptoms began but I had a MRI done on my cervical area that did not show any damage. I have also had an electromyogram done on my left arm/hand and shoulder. It was noted that nothing was found but that there were questions about the area near my neck as to something possibly showing up in the near future (he said it wasnt completely normal in that area and somewhat questionable and if it were up to him he would like to see me again to see if something showed up in the following weeks) however I was never sent back for further testing.
I have not seen a neurologist nor has the idea of seeing one been mentioned by my doctor but I keep thinking I need to. Can patients request to see a neurologist? I'm sorry but I feel like I am at my wits end and beginning to feel depressed and desperate for answers... Here is a complete list of all of my crazy symptoms and I beg of you to please at least tell me if I should keep seeking medical attention or if it is just time for me to give up and live with it..... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE at least look them over and let me know what my next move should be.
Constant pain in neck/shoulder/ upper back
Chest pains
Joint pain
Vertigo, particularly when laying down
low to no libido
Stress and urge incontinence
Frequent urination
Often awake to hands and fingers tingly and asleep feeling
Episodes of strange sensation just under the skin on lower legs and also face
Spider/varicose veins mostly in left leg
Loose stools
Fluctuating blood pressure (normal with surges of high bp)
Moderate to high anxiety concerning symptoms
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:03 am

User avatar Hello --

It sounds as though you may have an orthopedic problem in your cervical spine, but because of your symptoms you likely should be seen by a neurologist rather than orthopedist at this point, since the problem is largely involving a nerve or nerves, and even if it's due to a mechanical problem it seems the way to find the source would be to follow the symptoms back upstream. You've had an equivocal EMG, and this does happen sometimes. Some of your symptoms listed at the bottom of your post are probably normal stuff, but there's enough going on in a specific area or in a specific pattern to suggest C-spine problems or at least with either the radial or ulnar nerve in the affected extremity. There is also a potential that this is not cervical but brachial plexus related (thoracic outlet syndrome is a very real possibility) and this is generally more accessable to neurological evaluation than orthopedic. You definitely have a right to a consult with a neurologist or any other specialist who might be able to shed light on the problem. In this case it definitely sounds like a neurological survey is in order.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us