Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: MRI showing a 5mm drop in cerebellum

lbkhockey13 - Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:36 pm

I recently had an MRI done (c-spine) and it showed that my cerebellum is 5mm lower than normal. Why is this and what could cause this? Is is common?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:38 pm

User avatar Hi there --

If you have no central nervous system problems and the cerebellum was found to be 5 cm lower than normal this is probably only an artifact or something that required mention in the report because it was outside normal limits (everything not WNL must be documented even if it is meaningless). While there are some disease processes of which this could be a feature, since you apparently have had no symtpoms related to brain problems prior to this, it is likely normal for you, just outside the "normal" measurement. There's really quite a broad spectrum of structural "abnormal" findings which can be considered "normal" for the individual and if your doctor makes no mention of it then it probably has no meaning at all.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck and please follow up with us here as needed.