Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Tingling following numbness in Pelvic area whilst sleeping

Gary Jones - Mon May 11, 2009 12:50 pm

I was wondering if somebody could help me. I've been experiencing an unusual sensation that only ever occurs during the night. For about 3 months once or twice a week I will wake up at night time and notice that an area below my belly button, and into my groin is slightly numb. As soon as I move the numbness vanishes but leaves the usual sensation of tingling for about 60seconds.

This is exactly the same feeling as when you sleep on your arm, but what has made me ask about it is the fact is happens in my pelvic area.

I have no other symptoms and this doesn't cause pain or trouble me in any way.

I would really appreciate any advice.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:17 am

The symptom itself does not point to any specific diagnosis or condition but for evaluation, I would examine the abdomen and the inguinal canal for hernia.

Other important consideration are:

abdominal symptoms: pain, diarrhea or constipation, vomiting, appetite level or changes, weight changes.
    trauma to the thoracic and upper lumbar area
    any rashes
    any erectile dysfunction or problems urinating.
These are just some of the history questions to consider.
If you are particularly worried about the symptom then see your family physician who can do a thorough history and physical.