Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Delayed touch and accompanied with Static. Is this a problem

 nick382 - Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:51 pm

I am noticing a delay to my sensation of touch, and then the actual sensation is accompanied with "static." Its been getting progressively worse over the last couple weeks, and I'm beginning to feel like i don't have a sense of touch. It used to be on and off every couple of days... That was about a month ago. I've been with this sensation now for about two weeks. Its quite frustrating to forget I'm holding something because i can't feel its there. I'm 17 years old and I don't think I've had a stroke. But anything is possible i suppose. I have hallucinated in the past, I've even documented what I've seen. I've read about the possibilities of neurological conditions that could cause numbness. However, my sensation isn't numbness, it only occurs when I am touching something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:10 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are a host of disorders which can cause numbness so the task will be to answer a series of questions to rule out certain disorders.
For example:
    any excessive peeing or thirst (diabetes)
    any slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, facial weakness (stroke or mini stroke)
    any excessive alcohol use
    any repetitive use of the hands or need to shake the hands to eliminate numbness (carpal tunnel syndrome).

These are just a few questions that you should review with your family physician.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us