Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: lumbar puncture..after effects pls help

nnj925 - Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi i had a lumbar puncture done almost 2 months ago at which time the dr. took like 3 tries to get it right...after which 3 days later i was back in hosptial for a blood patch...(they got that right the 1st try)....

Now almost 2 months later and when i bend over forward my back still hurts in that area...and when i am laying/sitting on an incline in bed I get what feels like "chills" sparactically in my buttocks and back of my upper legs? but when i walk/jog...etc...nothing im fine?

Could this be nerve damage? i am fairly concerned here
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:56 pm

While the overall story would pretty much rule out nerve damage, there could still be nerve irritation, possibly due to some sort of bolus left over from the blood patch, and this could be pressing on a nerve outlet tight up against the cord where the puncture or patch was done. The fact it only happens in certain postures and you're not limited in upright activities rules out damage to a nerve, but I'd get this looked at anyway, since it could become a chronic problem and the sooner it's addressed the better the outcome is likey to be.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.