Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Question about A-Delta-Fiber-Nociception

Green Xenon - Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi:

I have speculative neuroscience question.

Let’s say that the PSTSNs in my body – and the ADFNs supplying them -- don’t have any refractory period or any other protections against hyper-excitability.

PSTSN = Peripheral Somatic Tactile Sensory Nerve

ADFN = A-Delta-Fiber-Nociceptor

Non-ADFN = Sensory-receptor/nerve-ending that is not an ADFN or the portion of a nerve that is attached to such a sensory-receptor/nerve-ending

ADFNPSTSN = A-Delta-Fiber-Nociceptor supplying a PSTSN

PSTSNNon-ADFN = A non-ADFN supplying a PSTSN

Tactile = Pertaining only to sense of touch [including temperature, pressure, pain, tickle, vibrations, movement, etc.]. *Not* including any visual, auditory, gustatory, olfactory perceptions or any sensations associated with the sense of balance.

Peripheral = pertaining only to the peripheral nervous system and not the central nervous system.

Somatic = pertaining only to the somatic nervous system and not the visceral, autonomic, or enteric nervous systems

Let’s say a mysterious entity decides to stimulate all the ADFNPSTSNs in my body to the maximum extent possible [in terms of extent to which an ADFNPSTSN is stimulated, how many ADFNPSTSNs per area are stimulated, and duration of stimulation] – without damaging any of my PSTSNs or their ADFNs, exceeding the maximum threshold of sensory feedback, or overloading the rest of my nervous system.

During the ADFNPSTSN-excitement, the mystical entity also temporarily disconnects –without damaging – any PSTSNNon-ADFNs from my PSTSNs at the same time and at the same rate and amount at which it stimulates my ADFNPSTSNs. This disconnection is physically-harmless but causes my PSTSNNon-ADFNs to be completely unable to communicate with my PSTSNs until reconnection.

In this hypothetical scenario, the ADFNPSTSN-excitement and simultaneous PSTSNNon-ADFN-disconnection do *not* occur suddenly or in a flash. They take place in a gradual, smooth, and sine-wave-like manner -- in terms of extent to which an ADFNPSTSN is stimulated, how many ADFNPSTSNs per area are stimulated, and how many PSTSNNon-ADFNs per area are disconnected from their PSTSNs. Hence there is no hint of a startle response at any level.

What symptoms will I experience as a result of this extreme ADFNPSTSN excitement with simultaneous PSTSNNon-ADFN disconnection?

Thanks,

Green Xenon
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:26 pm

You've probably experienced an electrical shock.
I would see a physician immediately.