Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Question about A-Delta-Fiber-Nociception

Green Xenon - Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi:

I have speculative neuroscience question.

Let’s say that the PSTSNs in my body – and the ADFNs supplying them -- don’t have any refractory period or any other protections against hyper-excitability.

PSTSN = Peripheral Somatic Tactile Sensory Nerve

ADFN = A-Delta-Fiber-Nociceptor

Non-ADFN = Sensory-receptor/nerve-ending that is not an ADFN or the portion of a nerve that is attached to such a sensory-receptor/nerve-ending

ADFNPSTSN = A-Delta-Fiber-Nociceptor supplying a PSTSN

PSTSNNon-ADFN = A non-ADFN supplying a PSTSN

Tactile = Pertaining only to sense of touch [including temperature, pressure, pain, tickle, vibrations, movement, etc.]. *Not* including any visual, auditory, gustatory, olfactory perceptions or any sensations associated with the sense of balance.

Peripheral = pertaining only to the peripheral nervous system and not the central nervous system.

Somatic = pertaining only to the somatic nervous system and not the visceral, autonomic, or enteric nervous systems

Let’s say a mysterious entity decides to stimulate all the ADFNPSTSNs in my body to the maximum extent possible [in terms of extent to which an ADFNPSTSN is stimulated, how many ADFNPSTSNs per area are stimulated, and duration of stimulation] – without damaging any of my PSTSNs or their ADFNs, exceeding the maximum threshold of sensory feedback, or overloading the rest of my nervous system.

During the ADFNPSTSN-excitement, the mystical entity also temporarily disconnects –without damaging – any PSTSNNon-ADFNs from my PSTSNs at the same time and at the same rate and amount at which it stimulates my ADFNPSTSNs. This disconnection is physically-harmless but causes my PSTSNNon-ADFNs to be completely unable to communicate with my PSTSNs until reconnection.

In this hypothetical scenario, the ADFNPSTSN-excitement and simultaneous PSTSNNon-ADFN-disconnection do *not* occur suddenly or in a flash. They take place in a gradual, smooth, and sine-wave-like manner -- in terms of extent to which an ADFNPSTSN is stimulated, how many ADFNPSTSNs per area are stimulated, and how many PSTSNNon-ADFNs per area are disconnected from their PSTSNs. Hence there is no hint of a startle response at any level.

What symptoms will I experience as a result of this extreme ADFNPSTSN excitement with simultaneous PSTSNNon-ADFN disconnection?

Thanks,

Green Xenon
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:26 pm

User avatar Hello,
You've probably experienced an electrical shock.
I would see a physician immediately.
Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us