Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: A week of heavy bleeding, then leg numbness & tingling.

sarabeth - Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:52 am

Hello doctors. I am 24 years old, 300lbs, I am taking avalide, not sure of the MG's. I have hypertension, have been diagnosed as pre diabetic, however never got told i was fully diabetic, have hypothyroidism, and have a slighly enlarged heart with a 50% ejection fraction.

Now that you know my medical history, here's my question.

6 days ago I started my cycle, or at least i thought it was my cycle. I hadn't had one in about 2 or 3 months, the bleeding was EXTREMELY heavy and clotty, and I had the worst pain/cramps of my life. I did go to my doctor, which she said based on my thyroid level she thought it was just my hormones acting up. I was afraid that i was having a miscarriage, but she didn't agree. I went to the doctor 2 days ago, the night I got back my right leg began to tingle as I was sitting at the dinner table with my husband. It went away, but then later that night it started to tingle as I was laying in bed, not in a strange position or anything, just laying out flat. This made me pay attention to it more over yesterday and today, and this morning i woke up to findthat my outer right thigh was numb. Not completely numb, as I can still feel when i touch it, but it's like I can only feel pressure. There's not really any sensitivity, if that makes sense. Now, i know tht you can damage nerves by just movement, or get a pinched nerve or also my weight could play a factor. I just want to know if there is something i don't know about. Could my heavy bleeding and pain somehow be connected to this? I just moved into a new house, and have been moving heavy things. Sitting on new furniture, etc. I don't know what could have caused this, but id like some input. One more question - could it be a diabetic neuropathy? I don't know how long those take to happen, but it was like this happened overnight or over 2 days.

any help will be much appreciated. thank you so much!!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:04 pm

User avatar Hello,What you have is meralgia parasthetica, an entrapment neuropathy possibly related to obesity in your case.It should settle with a course of oral bcomplex,and weight reduction.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us