Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: A week of heavy bleeding, then leg numbness & tingling.

sarabeth - Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:52 am

Hello doctors. I am 24 years old, 300lbs, I am taking avalide, not sure of the MG's. I have hypertension, have been diagnosed as pre diabetic, however never got told i was fully diabetic, have hypothyroidism, and have a slighly enlarged heart with a 50% ejection fraction.

Now that you know my medical history, here's my question.

6 days ago I started my cycle, or at least i thought it was my cycle. I hadn't had one in about 2 or 3 months, the bleeding was EXTREMELY heavy and clotty, and I had the worst pain/cramps of my life. I did go to my doctor, which she said based on my thyroid level she thought it was just my hormones acting up. I was afraid that i was having a miscarriage, but she didn't agree. I went to the doctor 2 days ago, the night I got back my right leg began to tingle as I was sitting at the dinner table with my husband. It went away, but then later that night it started to tingle as I was laying in bed, not in a strange position or anything, just laying out flat. This made me pay attention to it more over yesterday and today, and this morning i woke up to findthat my outer right thigh was numb. Not completely numb, as I can still feel when i touch it, but it's like I can only feel pressure. There's not really any sensitivity, if that makes sense. Now, i know tht you can damage nerves by just movement, or get a pinched nerve or also my weight could play a factor. I just want to know if there is something i don't know about. Could my heavy bleeding and pain somehow be connected to this? I just moved into a new house, and have been moving heavy things. Sitting on new furniture, etc. I don't know what could have caused this, but id like some input. One more question - could it be a diabetic neuropathy? I don't know how long those take to happen, but it was like this happened overnight or over 2 days.

any help will be much appreciated. thank you so much!!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:04 pm

User avatar Hello,What you have is meralgia parasthetica, an entrapment neuropathy possibly related to obesity in your case.It should settle with a course of oral bcomplex,and weight reduction.