Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Half-numb pinky and ring finger

Emmalexander - Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:02 am

Dear doctors,
All of a sudden and just a couple of days ago I felt that my left hand's pinky and ring finger are half-numb but not completely numb so was the part of the palm just below such two fingers. This has never happened to me before. Please note that I use my laptop a lot and I tend to place . I feel some pressure on the whole left arm whenever I lift it up to type something on the PC or hold a cup. my left hand also hurts me at night as if there was pressure on it or as if the blood is not flowing properly and I can't find the right position to leave it at when I'm in bed. Sometimes the two fingers get so numb..sometimes half-numb and other time less half-numb. Yet it hurts the most when I'm in bed especially when keeping the arm straight while plam is facing down but when the plam is facing up it's much better. I'm so worried and haven't gone to a physician, yet. Do you advise me to keep the arm vertical or horizontal when I'm awake. I feel the pressure the most in my wrist and palm when I keep the arm vertical and I feel pressure in the upper arm when I keep the arm horizontal and elbow curved.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:18 am

User avatar Hello,I think you have carpel tunnel syndrome caused by pressure on the median nerve at the level of the wrist.Night pains and numbness are characterestic.Most cases the cause remains unknown and in some hypothyroidism is implicated.CTS may be related to laptop usage.Good ergonomics,proper height of the chair,wrist angle correction,elbow angle correction would go a long way in prevention.You can have a neurological opinion just to make sure it is nothing else.Best wishes.