Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Partial Rhizotomy & Weight Loss

gandbarrie - Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:48 pm

In April 2009 I had microvasular decompression and left partial rhizotomy surgery performed for trigeminal neuralgia. In July 2009 I had radio frequency surgery done in the same area. The left side of my face from my cheekbone down to my chin is now numb. I recently started a diet and have lost 18 lbs over the last 4 weeks. The right side of my face in noticably thinner, but the left side has not thinned as much. Will the left side catch up to the right? What is causing this?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:28 am

It is well known for patients to develope new or increased subjective facial paresthesias or numbness following the various surgical treatments for trigeminal neuralgia.
But facial swelling is not a commonly reported complication.

It may be worth excluding other causes (especially in the oral cavity) for the facial swelling.